Thursday, May 19, 2005

As requested... a review of Star Wars Episode 3!

Hi all, I got a comment saying I should give a little review of the new Star Wars since I've seen it already and it's such a big movie event... here's some point form things!!

  • Overall... it was awesome. Visually it was beautiful. They had a huge task and it's almost mind boggling how much work it must have been to get the shots to look that beautiful.
  • The "crowd scenes" were sweet. By "crowd scenes" I mean the literally hundreds of individual space crafts, all different and always moving around in the background of sooo many scenes. I noticed they did a sweet job on this in Episode 2 (and maybe Episode 1 as well) but it felt like they really stepped it up for Episode 3.
  • Some guys at work commented on how insane the Rotoscoping must have been for this movie. When that weird alien "General Grevious" with 4 arms grabs 4 lightsabers and starts goin' NUTS, man that was pretty sweet too.
  • As usual the sound was top notch. The weird sound effects they used for the animal that Obi-Wan is driving was pretty nifty. I remember seeing once that they used an electric razor inside of a a stove pot to simulate the sound for the Pod Racers in Episode 1. Genius!! I wonder what they came up with for the voice of that weird creature.
  • The fight scenes are long and plentiful, so that was pretty hardcore adventure style. I liked the fight between Obi-Wan and General Grevious, Yoda and the Emporer and of course the one at the end between Obi-Wan and Anakin.
  • I can talk about the story and dialogue etc but I am not really super focused on that. Generally I think it is an amazing story and quite a great way to bring it to conclusion. George Lucas made a great decision to leave these 3 episodes until the technology caught up with the artistic vision he had for the films... Episode 3 is particularly good.
  • It is by far the best of the "new" 3 Star Wars movies.
  • The story progresses better, and moves more smoothly than Episode 1 and Episode 2. I found that I had to watch Episode 2 like 4 times to understand what was going on. I totally didn't understand what was going on with the Clone Army in Episode 2 and how they were supposed to be good, but they were clones of that bounty hunter guy with the really strong New Zealand accent (sweet accent, by the way!) Anyway Episode 3 was much smoother than the other 2 I think and actually I think much more adventurous with the characters and a much stronger and more interesting story as well. The focus was (rather than just on Anakin, or on Anakin and Padme) it was focused on the tension and conflict that Anakin has to go through... and as he decides to join the bad guy, the whole time you are saying "No!!!!!!!!!!" (Hehe, there's a reference to one of the lines in the movie.) It's pretty crazy cause things are in such a volatile state and you think Anakin could change his mind at any point and stay with the Jedi and on the good side. Crazy.
  • Overall it was totally awesome. I've seen it once and I am going to see it again this weekend at theatre that is all Digital so that should be sweet.
Rock on!

No comments: