Thursday, October 27, 2005

Networking assignment action

This sure is a busy time of year. Now after most of my Midterms are done, I am working full tilt on my Networking Assignment. I finished the first half of it tonight, it was Implicit Routing with a grid-shaped network topology of routers. These "routers" are Java Classes that I wrote which forward datagrams to the next router in the shortest path between the source and destination routers. My job in this first part of the assignment was to calculate the shortest path based on this grid-shaped network topology.

The next half of the assignment is a variation of OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) routing which uses LSPs in a routing table which is in place at each router. For this I need to continually poll the other routers in the network for Link State Packets and update my routing table at each router continually. This is done using Dijkstra's Algorithm which we just learned about in my Networking class and also in my Algorithms class. Fun times!!

This is pretty cool stuff and I am glad that finally I am done the pile of work I had to do up until today, so I can focus on this and get it finished and do a good job.

I wrote a huge parser tonight for the input file for this Java program, calculated the shortest path, made the router links and completely got the first part working. Awesome!!!!

Yes, and after all of this... I watched like 5 episodes of Scrubs. Man that show is awesome!!

No comments: