Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Chattin'

Well it's like the lyrics in the song by Colin Hay (from the Garden State Soundtrack) that I am listening to right now,

"I drink good coffee every morning... comes from a place that's far away... when I'm done, I feel like talkin'..."

I am in a chatty mood, and none of my roommates are here yet, it's 1:10am so everyone here is asleep, and everyone in Canada is most certainly asleep. But I am feelin' chatty so I thought I'd just write a lot.

So Garden State is a super awesome movie. I love it. I just watched it again a couple of nights ago and I love it. It's funny, super sad, strange, weird and marvelous all in one nice little package. Yes yes I know I'm nuts but I was definitely pretty teary during a bunch of it, it's a really sweet movie even though at some points it's just ridiculous. Oh man sooo good. And also, the Soundtrack (as I have mentioned in earlier posts) is fantastic and I am listening to it again right now. It's really quite amazing, and very similar to the Scrubs Soundtrack... very Zach Braff-y!! That dude has some mad musical taste.

Talking about Scrubs, it was on again tonight and it's sweet. Glad that it was on TV this week... cough cough... what's the deal with Fox and Arrested Development?!?!?!? The show supposedly has 4 episodes left before Fox cancels it, and I heard that they were advertising for the show this week and then at the last minute it was replaced with a 2 hour edition of another show. What's the deal?!?!?! Hehe man seriously, I love Arrested Development and Fox is doing a terrible job of trying to promote it - in fact it's pretty obvious that they have already given up on it. Hopefully Arrested Development's preservation attempt in last week's episode will have sparked some interest in people at other networks, and if we are lucky they will be picked up by another network. I have Seasons 1 and 2 now, and I will most definitely buy Season 3 whenever it comes out, what a brilliant show. I think the problem is that there is so much self-referential humour in it, and the jokes tend to reflect little comments made in earlier episodes. This is awesome if you are a hardcore fan, but I guess it has made it harder for new people to get hooked on the show because it is just "too weird" since they don't understand all the inside jokes which refer to earlier episodes. Anyway it rocks and Arrested Development, my friends and I will keep supporting your awesomeness!!!!!!!!

Ok other news, my friend Susan who is also a Waterloo student is working at Alias this term in Matt's old desk which is pretty funny. So that's great!! As you can see I am in a chatty mood so I just sent Susan a long email about everything I've been up to lately, so rather than making her email longer and writing all this too, I thought I'd better blog all of this so the world can read my random rantings of the night about Arrested Development and Garden State. :)

I bought my Mom's new Canon Digital Rebel XT (a Digital SLR Camera), and I have been playing with it a little bit. Jake gave me a good Aperture vs. Shutter Speed vs. ISO speed lesson yesterday which was quite helpful. I ordered a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB Compact Flash Card this week and got a great deal on it. This is a special super fast card which will allow for the camera to write very quickly to the card so time is not wasted by the camera's buffer. This means that I can shoot lots of pictures very quickly in succession without having to pause and wait to the photos to be written to the card. That rocks and it means I should never miss a really quick photo of an animal or something that is moving while I am hoping to get a photo of it!! :)

My buddy Alex from Toronto just got a phone call from Microsoft and has an interview with them next week. I am really proud of the guy, he is doing very well for himself and that rocks. Good luck Alex!!!!!!!!

Talking about other friends, Kevin from Texas A&M is coming back out here soon so that roooocckks!!!!!!!!!!! My good friend Matt from the summer too is also going to be back in the area within a month or two from now, so that is amazing. Most of us are going to be back here and there will be much camping trip action and good times coming up. I can't wait.

In other news, don't try to plug a Firewire iPod connection into Linux. It crashed my machine 3 times today. I was trying to charge my iPod but I only had Taylor's Firewire cable and it totally didn't work on Linux. Interesting I know, but I was kinda surprised that it totally took my machine for a ride!!

Pretty excited for my new roommates to arrive this week. I think one of my roommates is going to be another guy from Texas A&M named Frank and he is one of Jake's buddies so I am sure we will get along very well!! Good times.

Oh talking about good times, I am hoping to get to LA sometime soon!! I am really psyched for the trip because I really want to go to Universal Studios (cause it might be the greatest place in the world) and also my friend Tracy is living down there and it'll be awesome to see her too. So I am not sure when but I will no doubt post a whole bunch of photos from the trip after I get back!! It's super cheap to get there too, it looks like it might be as cheap as $118 return flight including tax!! Amazing. That is so cheap and awesome.

I love my new Paul Frank Pajama Pants. They roooooccckk!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know a huge amount about Andy Warhol, but any of his work I have seen I have liked I think. So Paul Frank for Andy Warhol Pajama Pants are quite a welcome addition to my clothing situation.

I talked to Matt and he switched out of Programming Languages (a 4th year CS class back in Waterloo) for a different Coding Theory class which sounds kindof interesting. So I am interested to hear how it is going for him. Also he is taking Compilers this term which is insane!! That is crazy because it is one of the hardest classes at Waterloo and I am sure Matt is definitely well qualified to take it, but he has already spent 15 hours on a project and school is not even 1.5 weeks through. Insane.

There are some super awesome The Art of Pixar Postcards that I want to get, it looks like you can get them on Amazon.com so I am going to get some on Amazon if I don't see them at work. They are really cool and I think a great idea to send some to my friends and family. Seems appropriate!!

My Sister is applying for her Ph.D., so that is super awesome. She is reeeealllllllly smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha yeah Norm is doing well at her Masters and she is applying now for her Ph.D., I think she has a good chance of getting in, her marks are amazing too so I bet she will do awesomely.

I watched some Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert again tonight, and it's pretty sweet. Still not sure if I like Steven Colbert's show as much as Jon Stewart's, but he has some pretty hilarious stuff on his show (like "The Word", that rocks.)

Apple had a keynote address by Steve Jobs again today, I didn't catch the keynote address itself, but I heard lots of details from Taylor who is a big fan of Mac stuff. The new Mac Laptops look pretty cool and that is sweet that they are running Intel processors finally. Interestingly they are using the first Dual-Core Mobile Processor (i.e. instead of 1 processor on a chip there are actually 2 processors on the same chip) I bet that'll be pretty neat. There is a massive new wave of technology coming and it's going to be here soooo soon. Like within 6 months I bet most of this stuff will be mainstream or close enough to it. Mac has Intel processors now, and Intel is going to be pushing Dual-Core and 64-bit processors I would imagine, the DVD successor (Blu-ray or HD-DVD) will become mainstram as well and that is another 10 times increase in storage capability!! That is nuts, a Blu-ray DVD holds something insane like 50 GB. That's crazy. I can imagine that there will be some pretty impressive home theatre systems coming with amazing resolution with the ability to store 10 times more Data for a movie. Very impressive!!!!!!!! This stuff is so cool and so fascinating. I love how it changes completely like every 6 months or every year. It's a very exciting time for Computers and Technology these days.

Well it's almost 2am so I better get to bed. I want to read some Harry Potter but now I am tired cause, well, I spent the last hour writing this to you fine readers who have the patience to read an hour's worth of information about me and what I am up to.

Thanks for keeping up with everything I am doing!! I sincerely appreciate you and everyone else who is reading this, it's very nice to hear people say that they like my Blog and they think it's interesting and they like the sound of the classes I was taking at school and my projects etc. It's really quite comforting that you guys think that what I am doing is interesting enough to keep up with all the details of my life at the moment. Thank you kindly and I hope everyone is well.

I'll keep writing if you all keep reading!! Cheers to that!!

No comments: