Thursday, July 13, 2006

Fresnel Refraction

This wasn't an objective for my Raytracer Project, but I wanted to do it anyway to make my glass objects look extra sweet.

I think this is working now, I wasn't sure at the beginning but I think it's correct now. The reflection and refraction coefficients are calculated based on the viewing angle, so that is pretty groovy and makes for some more realistic glass simulation.


Non-Fresnel glass, with reflection coefficient of 0.3 and refraction at 0.7. Note the large amount of reflection, especially of the red wall.


Fresnel Reflectance. Note the reduced reflection, and note that the majority of the reflection occurs only at the edges of the sphere rather than uniform across it.


My table scene rendered with Fresnel Reflectance and Reflection depth = 6 and Refraction depth = 6. At first I thought this was wrong but it's better than before as it is mostly refracting the table behind the glass. In the older images of the glass, it was reflecting a bunch more than it was supposed to, so I think it's better now.

No comments: