Sunday, July 02, 2006

Started Raytracer Project

The Raytracer Assignment is due next Tuesday, and I submitted it last night which is great. Now I have a lot more time to start the Project and get rockin' for that since we technically only have 2.5 weeks for it, and it is potentially a month of work. :) So yes as per my earlier post, I did not go to bed, and I did stay up on Facebook for about half an hour, then booted into Linux and spent a couple hours re-structuring my A4 assignment for my A5 project.

There were a couple of kinda silly things going on in A4 in the supplied code they gave us, like a whole bunch of stuff was passed into the render method and then these STL containers and vectors and points had to be sent as arguments to a whole bunch of methods within the same file. This really needed to be made into a class, so I did that and did a whole bunch of stuff to allow the LUA parsing code to accept this. That was a bit tricky since the LUA code is in C and is not a class either, and I had some issues with making a "Raytracer" object, and making sure I've passed the command-line parameters at the right time and that sort of thing. It worked out pretty well and I don't see a major speed improvement, but I was able to restructure a whole bunch of functions in the main code to allow for better readability and extension (which is key since this is what I am doing for the Project!!) Sweeeeeeeet.

Tomorrow after a bit more refactoring and fixing up the current code, I am going to read the 3 papers my Prof suggested that I read for Uniform Spatial Subdivisions and I am going to start coding it tomorrow. I want to get that done as quickly as possible so I can move onto the rest of the objectives and get that looking good quickly. I have some other ideas for my presentation and some extra features I'd like to do if I have time to do all this fun stuff.

No comments: