Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How many awesome lectures can one JCC have?

So I've been here a month, and I've been delaying finding a Shul here since I am not sure which one to go to, I still have a lot of unpacking, yadda, yadda, yadda. Now I have to make a decision soon because Rosh Hashannah is coming up and I need a place to go. So... I started by looking at the JCCSF website. MAN IT IS AWESOME.

So, growing up in London, Ontario, I can't say that I wasn't drawn into the awesomeness of those Purim carnivals at the JCC and so on. Those were some pretty good hamentaschen.

But, we never had this list of people coming to speak at the JCC (this is crazyness):
  • Mitch Albom (author of "Tuesdays with Morrie")
  • Oliver Stone (director of Platoon, JFK, etc)
  • Michael Chabon (author of "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay")
  • James Kugel (Harvard professor)
  • Chris Ware and Art Spiegelman in Conversation (Art Spiegelman, author of "Maus" and "Maus II")
  • Harry Shearer and Judith Owen (Harry Shearer, voice from "The Simpsons")
And the list goes on. And these are all pretty much in the next few months. This is insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe the list of talks and lectures and awesomeness. This is amazing. And everything is either free, or so cheap it's crazy. Like $10 or $20. This is amazing.

So yes, apparently the JCC in San Francisco is totally awesome. I will definitely have to get to some of these events. And I think there should be lots of options for Rosh Hashannah, I just have to get that sorted out within a week or two from now.

No comments: