Monday, October 29, 2007

My day of IKEA

Today was nice but kindof a major schlep again, it's always that way when you rent a ZipCar and run around all day. :) Anyway I found a much smoother way to get onto the Bay Bridge via Polk St rather than Van Ness, there was less traffic which was nice.

Anyway, good times. I got up at like Noon and then called Julien and Rachel, two of the new engineers at work on my team!! They are awweessome and I love working with them and now I am psyched to see them now sometimes outside of work. Good stuff!! Anyway Rachel wasn't home but I got a hold of Julien who just moved to his apartment yesterday so he was keen to go to IKEA and get some stuff including a bed and dishes and pots and pans and stuff. So that was great. I actually had a fair amount of stuff to get as well, a bookshelf, some replacement dishes, a mat for my front door, and other random stuff.

We got the ZipCar near Julien's place and then took off to IKEA. We were there for quite a while and then Julien's bed wasn't there so he bought another one and had to go back upstairs and pick a new one, while I paid and waited for my bookshelf. Then I packed all my stuff in the Toyota Matrix we rented, and went back to help Julien with all his stuff. Then extended the ZipCar 30 min. Then tried to extend it again... and someone else had booked it! So we had to "Zip" back over to the parking garage in time to take out all the stuff, switch it to a NEW ZipCar that we rented for an hour, so we could get it to my apartment! Crazy. So we actually managed to get across the Bay Bridge very quickly, and so I dropped Julien at his apartment and he somehow got all of his stuff into his place on his own. Crazy. While he was doing that I dropped off the car (amidst the insane traffic and the one-way streets and no-left-turns in downtown San Francisco), and finally got to the parking lot and it was all good. Pulled into the spot at... 6:01pm. It was due at 6:00pm, sweet. 3 ladies dropped off a Ford Mustang they had rented and were also swapping ZipCars... to the one I just dropped off! So we chatted for a bit and I loaded my stuff into a Mazda 3 I had just rented for another hour. Deciding that there was a lot of traffic and it was insane, I added 30 min to the rental and so we had about an hour and 20 min to drop the stuff at my place and then head back to drop off the car. I picked up Julien who had just put all of his stuff inside his place, and then we went all the way to my apartment, dumped off my stuff, and then drove all the way back to drop off the car. Crazy!!

After all this running around, we needed to take a break. So Julien and I headed for some good Indian Food by his place and it was a great time. All in all, a glorious day of IKEA shopping, and lots of walking around, but definitely useful for me and also Julien got almost everything he needed for his place, including a bed, frame, pots and pans, dishes, cutlery and so on. I got some great stuff too and I have a new bookshelf now which I am definitely happy about.


Bookshelf and photo frame


New door mat


New vase and Bamboo


New Martini glasses


SVHS player which is pretty sweet

No comments: