Sunday, April 06, 2008

The Fountain graphic novel by Darren Aronofsky

In 2006 I got to meet and chat briefly with Darren Aronofsky, legendary director of the movies "Pi", "Requiem for a Dream" and "The Fountain." He was really awesome, totally excited and passionate about the world of film, and it's clear that he really is a true artist and a powerhouse of the cinema world.

Today I went to go see "Horton Hears a Who" which, as expected, was totally sweet. Blue Sky frickin' rocks the house. They did a great job again with this movie and I loved it. On the way to see it at the Metreon in downtown San Francisco, I checked out the comic store there and turns out they are going out of business?!?! Too bad, it was a cool place! So I went to check out what they still had in there and picked up a copy of "The Fountain" graphic novel, also by Darren Aronofsky. The back cover says that "The Fountain" was such a powerful story that it couldn't be contained in 1 medium! :) I think that's definitely true, and in fact the movie does play a bit like a graphic novel. So I think it's going to be really cool. While reading some random stuff about it on the internet, I also found out that Darren Aronofky has a blog too?! Super cool.

Anyhow totally psyched to read this, and the artwork is really cool. I never really liked action/fighting/adult-themed comic books before, but this looks really awesome, and I already like the story and can definitely appreciate the artwork too. It is different than my usual reading style but this seems like a good book to check out. Mostly cause the movie was just amazing, and you can definitely see some of the inspiration for the shots in the movie from the artwork in the graphic novel. Awesome times.

No comments: