Sunday, August 24, 2008

SFMOMA and John Mayer's new album

I went to SFMOMA yesterday with Frizzle, Jess, Fiz-Bam and Stephan Schteeeeinbaachh and it was sick. I liked the Art of Lee Miller photography exhibit, that was really interesting and the WWII photos were the most intense and probably the best part of the exhibit. Also there was a Frido Khalo exhibit which was great to see. I enjoyed it and it definitely made me more interested in seeing the movie to get an idea of some of the history of Frida Khalo, and what brought her to style her art in the way that she did. The best part of SFMOMA is the European section, with some of my usual favourites: Matisse, Kandinsky, Chagal, Picasso and Braque. Awesome times.

I got a creme brulee at the museum cafe which they blow-torched in front of us, that was cool!! We went to the park afterwards and chilled out, and Stephan and I talked about some SLR camera stuff. I think actually he had the Canon 20D. It was nice and fun to play with it!! I just talked to Matt on the phone and he told me some details about the new "Prosumer" Nikon D-SLR and it sounds siiiick too. So I am not sure what I am going to end up getting, but I am going to start researching this stuff now. Hopefully I can get the camera before Christmastime and then take it back to Canada to get some iconic Winter shots. :)

Today just spending some time cleaning the apartment, catching up on lots of stuff - sleep, emails, relaxing and drinking coffee, the usuals. :)

Also I'm listening to the new John Mayer live album called "Where the light is" - this is INSANE. Seriously this is absolutely ingenious. His solos are just nuts, and this album definitely brings you back to the John Mayer style of his earlier albums. I feel like John Mayer is a lot like Dave Matthews Band... in that his talent is really, reaaaaaaally clear in the Live albums, and although the studio albums are enjoyable (and awesome too), the real power of John Mayer's disgustingly insane guitar skills is more more evident in a setting like this. This album has 3 sections: John Mayer + band, John Mayer Trio, and a John Mayer acoustic section. The John Mayer Trio section shows off the skills of John with the two other guys from the "Try!" album and the blues riffs are like a glorious bluesy punch to the face - they are SO awesome. He calms down a little with some of the "Radio friendly" versions like the band version of "Why Georgia", but this is the case with all live musicians that rock so hard at live music. I guess all the songs can't be 15 minutes long... although I certainly wouldn't mind. :)

This album is beautiful, and shows off so much ridiculous talent that you can't help but love it.

No comments: