Tuesday, September 20, 2011

More TED thoughts

Just watched this speech by Philosopher Alain de Botton.



It's really excellent. I love his quote around 14:00 where he discusses how success must be our own. We should "own them" and "make sure we are truly the authors of our own ambitions". This is so good I might actually quote it in my TED speech. The TED rules (cutely called the "TED Commandments") mention that you are allowed to freely quote any previous TED talk in your TED talk, pretty kick ass policy. So anyhow, I really like his message here, and I just recently read one of his books which was fantastic. Given that he's a Philosopher, I'm not completely surprised at his message - he's suggesting introspection. He's suggesting that people do not immediately jump on to one of their dreams and work for it at full pace. He's suggesting we stand back and spend some solid time on self-reflection and introspection to determine the true origin of our goal. We should determine if we want to achieve it for unwise reasons (fame, money, prestige, bragging rights at a 10yr high school reunion) or if we really have a true hunger for this goal. I like that message. I think I can use that as part of the "challenge" portion of the speech.

I'm working really hard on this now, full-tilt. It's 2:30am on a "school night" again, I should go to bed. Anyhow, super psyched about this. I'll prob be posting a bunch of stuff on my blog now about this as I work through my thoughts. I think this is going to help with my planning. Only 2 months to go.

Thanks for reading. :)

No comments: