Sunday, January 29, 2006

UV Mapping mania and some tasty Chinese food

Working hard and reading a lot lately thus the lack of sweet sweet bloggin' posts. I have been reading a massive amount of Harry Potter #6 and it rooooccckkkks. It's really awesome and I love being on work term and actually having time for fun stuff like reading books. Awesome.

Yesterday we all slept in until like 12:30 and then did nothing for a while until Taylor called us and we all went to Chipotle for burritos, man that place is sweet. After that the guys dropped me at work and I continued doing some UV Mapping stuff, I am working hard to learn UV Mapping quickly and get a good feel for the new tools in Maya 7. It's kinda funny because I wrote a few of the new UV Mapping features in Maya 7 but until now I haven't had a chance to really use them in a more practical sense. So this is wonderfully awesome and I am really enjoying spending a lot of time in Maya as a "Maya User" rather than just a "Maya Programmer"... good times!!!!!! By the way for all of you that don't know what UV Mapping is, it is a method that can be used to texture or paint a 3D object. The UV Mapping is essentially a set of coordinate points that define a mapping between 2D (texture) space and 3D (model/object) space. It's pretty cool and once you have a good UV map defined, you can then texture or paint a 3D object nicely without seeing lots of seams, and with a nice uniform texture that does not have lots of distortion or discontinuity. Good times for sure, this stuff rocks.

I have been watching some Gnomon Workshop DVDs on UV Mapping and they are pretty decent for learning some of the tools and techniques needed for UV Mapping. Good stuff.

So other than learning UV Mapping this weekend I am also going to get some more moolah for my Pay-As-You-Go phone. Last night was pretty sweet, after Chipotle and after I spent some time at work, we all went to a really nice Chinese restaurant in Berkeley and got some sweet Mongolian Beef and Chicken Noodle stuff and maaannn it was awesome.

Tonight I think we are actually going back to the same restaurant for more tasty food, so I am definitely excited for that. :)

Oh yes also one more thing, my old friend Kristen's sister Andrea just had her baby and that is really exciting. Congrats Andrea and Kevin!

No comments: