Saturday, January 23, 2010

I'm on Team CoCo

I've been a huge fan on Conan O'Brien for YEARS. His ridiculous self-deprecating comedy on "Late Night" filled many late nights, while chillin' in my buddy Andrew Lam's basement in London, Ontario, after hours of guitar playing and eating junk food and Tim Hortons. We watched Conan all through high school, and his influence reaches even further back (he wrote some of my favourite Simpsons episodes, way back in the early seasons).

I heard several years back that Conan was going to be given the 11:30 timeslot and The Tonight Show in 2009 and I was so excited about it. I've been a big fan of the new Tonight Show, the direction Conan has taken it, and how hilarious and amazing it has been to see my favourite crazy red-haired talk show host do his thing when he finally had a reasonable budget. The Hollywood stuntman smashing Conan through a glass window, the canons shooting the "wax Tom Cruise and wax 'The Fonz'", Conan's long hair wig and open red jacket on "Rodeo Rd"... so much absurdity and brilliant comedy.

It's a real shame that his show is being canceled, I've really enjoyed it and also thought (as he said on the final show last night), it's being canceled about a decade too early. The final episode was a real tear-jerker, and Conan's appreciation for his staff and support was very sincere. It's good to hear that he can start a new show in September, and I hope his new show allows him to continue on his own terms with the unique comedic magic he had really achieved in just 7 short months on the Tonight Show. My favourite part of the show was the jam session at the end with Beck, Ben Harper, Will Ferrell, Conan et al, and also the sincere thank you he gave to his staff. His quote about staying true to your ideals, working hard and being a good person is one to remember:
"I hate cynicism — it’s my least favorite quality and it doesn’t lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen." -Conan O'Brien
What an amazing show. I hope that Conan can keep his powerhouse comedy team and staff, and continue the magic soon on another network - and on his own terms. Good luck Conan! You're an inspiration.

No comments: