Sunday, December 04, 2011

iMenorah 2.0, Development so far

Cabernet and I got together and knocked out a bunch of stuff today, it was SUPER fun.

The first goal was to get the majority of the artwork done - upressing the images so we would have images ready to support both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S "Retina" screen, as well as the resolution on the iPad 1 and 2. As part of this effort I realized that the iPad 1 and 2 have the same resolution (a bit surprising) and that the iPad resolution is only slightly higher than that of the Retina screen. Cool stuff.

After some careful painting work by Matt to clean up some stuff on the images, the images looked sooo good and sharp in HD. Very nice.

We then spent a while incorporating those images into the iMenorah code. Not too bad as Apple has a really fantastic method for supplying the high res images - you just make a new image called imageName@2x.png which is a 2x-sized version if imageName.png. If you call the code correctly, the proper image will be swapped in automatically on the correct device. Well done Apple!

The iPad app launch was not quite as smooth as we took a while to figure out that the iPhone Simulator was not actually displaying the most recent code. After taking to my bro and iOS Guru Alex it's clear that we were doing something wrong in the setup file. You really need to make sure you're using a different binary name for the iPhone and iPad version of your app - the iPhone Simulator gets confused otherwise. So after fixing that and learning how to do a clean build, I think we are back on track.

Tomorrow we're fixing a few bugs and then maybe adding one or two new features before hopefully submitting the iPhone App Update and the new iPad version tomorrow night.

No comments: