Monday, April 09, 2012

Matcha

Back in '09 when I went to Japan I was really surprised at the kind of green tea they gave us at the sushi place I went to - it was powdered and you just added hot water to it and stirred. I was so surprised and it tasted great, a little bitter (or "bittersweet") with what people usually call "vegetal sweetness". Haha that word is weird. It is a bit grassy-tasting but has this interesting sweetness to it. Pretty damn awesome. I think it's often used for Green Tea Ice Cream.

I haven't had it in ages and just noticed on Steepster that there is a fancy matcha from a company called PureMatcha that looks pretty tasty. Reviews were great and it looks pretty fun. There is a cool preparation method too, you can get this crazy bamboo whisk and that's the usual method for stirring it. When you stir it in such a way, it often foams up. I guess they must use a lower grade version of this for stuff like Green Tea Frappucinos at Starbucks. Anyhow, this looks pretty good and I think I'm gonna try it at some point. Maybe I should start with a cheaper one first from Japantown, but I'd love to get the tea preparation equipment too.

Maaan this bamboo whisk looks so friggin' badass!!!! Yes. "I want to go to there."

Tea it upppp

No comments: