Friday, November 28, 2008

Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee from Blue Bottle!

Lots of visitors over the past week here. Jer arrived from Australia last Thursday, Tim arrived on Friday and then Matt Brown came up for the weekend too. That was great and we did a ton of stuff. We got a bunch of food, wandered around a bunch, went to the Ferry Building and a whole lot more.

Saturday was awesome, I was in line at Blue Bottle at the Ferry Building and noticed about 5 bags of a coffee I'd never seen before. I asked the guy there what the deal was with it and he said, "Well, let me tell you! This is Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee!!!!!!!!" He then told me that usually when you get Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee from a "boutique" store, it's been roasted months before and comes in a tin or a special container because it's really expensive and because it costs a fortune, no one ever buys it and so it is not as good as it could be. This, although was JBM but in sweet BLUE BOTTLE style!!!!! I.e. they got it from Jamaica themselves (pretty much) and it is a very small plantation and it was in very limited supply... and it was roasted on the FRIDAY, the day before I bought it. INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked him what it tasted like and he said, "Just a VERY good, regular coffee." The usual Blue Bottle 1/2 pound coffees are $7.50 or $8.50... and he said, after his long story about the coffee, that "the only problem is... this baby will run ya $21" Haha!!!!!!!! Insane. I thought about it for about 3 seconds, and since I've been wanting to try Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for about 15 years, I said, "Yep, let's go for it!" He then smiled and called me a "true coffee lover"... haha. I figure it's SO good and with the amount of money I spent at Starbucks in a month... this is probably about the same for the same amount of coffee! So I thought I'd try it. AND IT IS AMAZING!

Re: the taste to expect, he was right on the money. When we got home I instantly made some of it, and it was just glorious. It was exactly as he described... no strong flavours, not with "notes" of anything in particular. It tastes like just normal, regular, coffee... it's just AMAZINGLY smooth, absolutely not acidic at all, very, very clean taste and very very smooth. It was SOOOOOOOOO good. I don't usually like coffee without milk but I tried it black as well and it was also excellent. Not a strong taste at all, and just so, sooooo good.

I've had a few more cups over the week, and man is it ever good. Still got over 1/2 the bag left, and managed to make a bunch for my friends here too. I want to finish it while the beans are still nice and fresh. It is just so good. I've decided that one of the Blue Bottle coffees or the Graffeo Dark Roast I got was not that great... one of those was really way too acidic and I've decided I'll try not to get that one again.

Anyway this is soooooooooo good.

No comments: